5 Keep your life free from the love of money. Be satisfied with what you have, for he himself has said, I will never leave you or abandon you. 6 Therefore, we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? — Hebrews 13:5-6
God Owns It All!
by Kay DeKalb Smith
Wow! Verse 5 reminds me of a sermon I heard when I was single, by the great Reverend John Bisagno of the First Baptist Church of Houston, Texas. That sermon changed my life.
He offered four little principles:
- God owns everything.
- He wants everything you have to stay in circulation.
- God doesn’t need your money, but you need to give it.
- A 10% tithe is a starting place for learning how to give.
I heard that message loud and clear. So, I went through my closet and gave away half my clothes to a college student. My food pantry was brimming with canned goods. I overheard a lady saying her husband had lost his job and they were having a rough time. I went to their home and took many bags of food.
As a single woman, I had purchased a set of china. That china was just sitting in the attic. I prayed about the china and found a family whose house had just burned down. Imagine my joy, sharing the beautiful set of china. (God assured me that some day when I got married I would get china. He was right…I got three sets of china!)
I also stepped out in faith and pledged a large sum of money to a ministry that needed support. God provided a week of singing engagements that gave me the sum, plus enough money to pay my rent! Over and over as I applied these principles to my life, God blessed me. He has never left me or abandoned me.
- Are you willing to consider that all you have is not yours, but God’s?
- Are you circulating your “stuff”? (One time I took old towels to an animal shelter to be a good steward of my “stuffed” towel closet.)
- Might you have too much of something? Perhaps someone else could benefit from those items.
- What does your giving record show? What percentage of your income is given away? Have you learned the joy of giving?
Unless otherwise noted, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Christian Standard Bible®, Copyright © 2017 by Holman Bible Publishers. Used by permission. Christian Standard Bible® and CSB® are federally registered trademarks of Holman Bible Publishers.