Where Do I Start? (Part 2)
January 26, 2015
“15 and you know that from childhood you have known the sacred Scriptures, which are able to give you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.”
2 Timothy 3:15-17
Part Two: Where?
After you have determined the best time to read your Bible daily, the next step is to decide where. The bottom line is where you can best focus and have the least amount of distractions. Jesus intentionally got away by Himself so He could be fully engaged (Mark 1:35). As with being a night or a morning person, this will look different depending on how you roll.
My wife can get out of bed, lie down on her stomach, and read her Bible with full focus. If I did that, I would sleep through the whole thing! I need a cup of coffee and a chair where I can sit up straight. Even then I sometimes get sleepy! Others of you can lie flat on your back and read for an hour AFTER 10 pm. I wouldn’t last 3 seconds!
Find the best place and the best time FOR YOU where you can be “all in” and completely engaged with minimal – or zero – distractions. Several things to keep in mind are:
- Turn off the TV.
- Put your cell phone somewhere else; or turn it off; or turn it on silent; or turn off the “dings.”
- If you use a tablet for your Bible reading (as I do), turn off all alerts (putting it on “Airplane Mode” is helpful). Do the same if you use a computer or laptop.
- If your kids are awake, tell them what you are doing and what time they can come back (or what time you will be coming out!).
- Make your coffee and set the timer the night before so it can be ready to drink when it is time to read.
- If you are a morning person and do this first thing, DO NOT CHECK YOUR EMAIL UNTIL YOU ARE DONE!
So, are you are morning person or a night person?
Where can you go that will eliminate most, if not all, distractions?